Legal professionals of Reuter Law Group, PC
How fathers can obtain visitation rights

How fathers can obtain visitation rights

On Behalf of | Apr 16, 2021 | Child Custody and Visitation |

Texas law generally allows both parents to spend time with their children. However, there is no guarantee that a father will be granted visitation rights to a son or daughter. Instead, a judge must determine that doing so will be in that child’s best interest.

You may need to establish paternity

If you weren’t married to the mother when your child was born, you’ll need to establish paternity before seeking visitation rights. In some cases, paternity will be established by submitting a form to the proper authorities. However, if there is reason to doubt that you are a minor’s biological father, you may need to take a DNA test to prove that this is the case.

What happens after paternity is established?

After proving that you are a child’s biological father, a hearing will be held to determine if you should be granted visitation rights. A judge will review a variety of factors when deciding if you are fit to be alone with a son or daughter. These factors may include the presence of a criminal record, your employment status and your ability to get along with the child’s other parent. An attorney who has experience with cases involving father’s rights issues may be able to help you obtain a favorable outcome in your proceeding.

What happens if you’re denied visitation rights?

If you are denied visitation rights, it doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to contact your child at all. In some cases, you may be allowed to write letters, send emails or interact with your child using video. There is also a chance that you’ll be given greater access to your son or daughter in the future as you prove yourself to be a capable parent.

Research suggests that children generally do better when they have both parents in their lives. Therefore, it may be in your best interest to seek visitation rights to your son or daughter. An attorney may be able to help you convince a judge that you deserve a chance to raise your child.