Legal professionals of Reuter Law Group, PC
What to do when a child wants to live with their other parent

What to do when a child wants to live with their other parent

On Behalf of | Oct 22, 2020 | Divorce |

Once a divorce in Texas has been finalized, it might seem easy to assume that the matter has been settled and both parties can move on with their lives. Sometimes, the children involved have other ideas. Many parents have been shocked when their child suddenly announces that they want to live with their other parent. This can be a difficult situation, but with a little compassion and empathy, parents can do the right thing and act in their child’s best interests.

What should parents do when their children want a different living situation?

Above all else, parents should try to be empathetic. It might be easy to assume that the child is just acting out because they’re stressed and frustrated. While this might be true in some cases, the child might have also been thinking about moving in with their other parent for months. Parents should take their child’s desires seriously if they want to do what’s best for them.

However, this doesn’t mean that parents can’t set ground rules. They can tell their child that they have to be calm and polite if they want to discuss the matter. If their child has an outburst or insults the parent, they can step back and discuss the issue at a later date. The parents should take the issue seriously, but that doesn’t mean they have to tolerate disrespect.

The parent might also want to get their attorney involved to help them with matters of child custody and visitation. Additionally, the parent may want to discuss the matter with their friends and relatives. Talking to a third party can help them see the issue from a different perspective.

Finally, the parent shouldn’t treat this as a completely negative experience. They can try looking it as an opportunity for their child to bond with their other parent. If both parents agree to the change in living situations, their attorneys may help them file a request for child custody modification.